Saturday, August 13, 2011

Resolutions

I have basically been on the couch or in bed the last two days. I seemed to have caught a little bug that my daughter had. I'm running a low grade temp and my throat is sore. I ache all over (worse than I normally do) and I'm getting ready to start my cycle. I was hoping my pain would be a little "flared" when I see the doctor on Wednesday so he could have a good picture of my pain, but I didn't want to get sick! Being sick and chronically ill is really tough.

I have been thinking about Jonathan Edwards' resolutions lately. Edwards was a great scholar, theologian, philosopher, and pastor in New England in the 1700's.  He wrote 65 resolutions that he read over weekly in order to keep his mind and heart on God.  You can read a copy of the resolutions here

Two of my favorites:
9.  "Resolved, to think much on all occasions of my own dying, and of the common circumstances which attend death."
10. "Resolved, when I feel pain, to think of the pains of martyrdom, and of hell."
Such convicting words! When I am sick and hurting do I think about death? No, I think about getting better because I want the pain to be over. But Edwards reminds us to think about the fact that we are going to die. Even if by God's grace we receive healing of our immediate illness, something will eventually take our life. I think Edwards in thinking about his own death was reminding himself and praying that his life would be used to God's glory. That he wouldn't "waste" it and that He would be ready when death comes.

When I am in pain, which is pretty much all the time, I confess I do not think of the pains of martyrdom and hell like I should, but rather I think about just "getting through it" or what I can do to minimize the pain. But if I were to think about my own sin and it's deserving of hell and of those who have been and will be martyred in countries like China, India, Afghanistan my pain would fail in comparison.

Challenging words. Read the rest of Edwards' resolutions, which pertain to all things in life including time management, character, and relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment