Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Spaghetti Squash


Photo Source

I can't believe that I've never cooked spaghetti squash before! It was so easy and REALLY good. My daughter, who is not a big spaghetti person, gobbled it up! This is a great way to get more veggies into your diet and it's a good gluten free option as well. Not to mention a frugal meal at .99/lb, a 2 lb squash was enough for our family of 3 with leftovers.

I based my recipe off Jackson's Spaghetti Squash but changed it up a bit for what I had on hand and to stay in line with my dietary modifications (which I'm still figuring out!). By the way, didn't Jackson look like a different person in the Biggest Loser Finale last night?!

I sauteed some mushrooms, garlic, red pepper, and onion until soft. Then I added a jar of spaghetti sauce (which was a little much for a 2 lb squash) along with a tomato and some spices (basil, oregano, etc) and simmered for about 10 minutes. I cooked the spaghetti squash in the microwave as directed by the recipe due to time restraints (though next time I'd like to cook in the oven) and voila. An easy, healthy, and inexpensive meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment