Monday, October 29, 2012

Prayers Please!

Two and a half weeks ago I had what seemed to be a stomach virus. It actually reminded me a little of the frequent stomach issues I had while living in Africa as it seemed to drag on for a while. I am finally feeling better from that, but last week I developed some upper GI issues that I have never had before - constant burping when drinking even water, feeling like something is stuck in my throat, and a little difficulty/irritation when swallowing. I have no idea where this came from! I began taking Prilosec just in case it is reflux, but I am not overweight and I don't have heartburn or a reflux feeling just a constant need to burp in order to get liquids/food/medicines down. Honestly, this has been anxiety producing (it doesn't help that my husband has been working CRAZY amounts of overtime -though we are extremely grateful for the extra money!). I cannot get into my family doctor this week and Monday is when I am supposed to start the drug infusions that will hopefully help with the central nervous system sensitization pain. I have been waiting for the infusions for 3 months and really need some relief from the burning, especially in my legs. I am concerned though that the infusions could cause some nausea and vomiting (side effects of the medications) and that might irritate my esophagus even more! This is very frustrating and like everything else completely out of my control.

When I had the MRI of my right hip 2 weeks ago a labral tear was found in that hip as well. I had a good visit with the PT and nurse practitioner and will go back in 2 weeks to see the hip surgeon and hopefully get more of my questions answered. My hope is that these drug infusions will help relieve/manage some of my pain (especially the burning/hypersensitivity), and then I might pursue intervention on my hip as this seems to make the most sense for me at this point. My right hip is actually more painful and unstable on a day to day basis than my left, but my SI joint pain and predominant pelvic floor pain is on my left side so perhaps I don't notice the hip pain there as much. Both my pelvic floor PT and the hip PT feel it would be wisest if I pursue arthroscopic hip surgery to have the left done first because I am already atrophied and weak and have more overall pain on that side.

The last few days have been especially hard. I'm discouraged and frustrated and just sick and tired of being sick and tired! I keep thinking surely God is going to give us a "break through" one of these days, but what if He doesn't? I read this quote Saturday which capturs how I often feel:
“We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be.” CS Lewis

1. Please pray that these upper GI issues would go away - that God would heal me of this symptom. It just seems like the pain never stops spreading and I feel like it's more than I can bear right now! If it's not God's will for this to go away, pray that doctors will be able to figure out what is wrong and help me find relief soon.

2. Pray for wisdom to know what to do about the drug infusions next week.

3. Pray that if I do the infusions that they will help and that insurance will pay for it - we still haven't heard for sure about that! Pray also that the infusions will not cause any side effects (common ones being nausea/vomitting and hallucinations).

4. Pray for wisdom as we meet with the hip surgeon November 13th and try to decide what is best for me. Please pray that God will not allow me to do the surgery (or anything!) that would make me worse or not help the problem. I have already gone through so many painful and unnecessary procedures!

5. Most importantly pray for peace and that when I am afraid I will trust in God (Psalm 56:3-4). Pray also that we would not be anxious, but would constantly seek after God.

Thank you for standing in the gap with us!

1 comment:

  1. "I feel like it's more than I can bear right now. .." My heart aches for you, I feel (some of) your pain, and I lift you up before the Father of all comfort. I pray the infusions will go ahead, they will be helpful beyond your wildest hopes, and they will be covered by insurance as well. "He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?"

    ReplyDelete