Thursday, October 13, 2011

Did Jesus Die to Heal Me Physically?

One of my many friends I've met via the Internet since chronic pain entered my life emailed me to encourage me today. She sent a link to this video. It was EXACTLY what I needed to hear today.

My dog got fleas so we had to tear apart the house to clean everything, my daughter's got a cold, we're trying to pack and decide whether I should travel 6 hours to visit my sister-in-law and their new baby, my husband and I said some not very loving words with each other, we're stressed trying to decide if I should have surgery or trial the spinal cord stimulator, and my pain is the worst it's ever been. This was a good reminder that Jesus didn't come to make my life easy!


When I lived in Africa one of the saddest things I witnessed was people who had nothing giving all they had to the rich evangelists like Benny Hinn who came to tell people that if they followed Jesus they could be cured of AIDS and have great wealth. All if they just had faith. But that's not what Jesus says. He says, we will have trouble in this world (John 16:33), that we must not only believe in Christ but also suffer for Him (Philippians 1:29), that we will be heirs of God's kingdom with Christ provided we suffer for Him (Romans 8:17), and that suffering can be God's will (1 Peter 4:19)!

Despite my pain and the frustrations of the day I am going to try to make the road trip to see my husband's sister and be with my family tomorrow (I'd appreciate your prayers!). I'm going to lie down in the back of my aunt's van, take my ice pack, TENS unit, and my "pharmacy". I may not be able to do much when I get there, but I think it will be good to get out and be with people. Chronic pain is a hard battle, but the battle against bitterness, covetousness, and despondency is right up there with the physical struggle. Oh that I might say and believe,
"Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:25-26
Jesus died to give me God...not physical healing on this Earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment