Tuesday, August 9, 2011

True Spiritual Living

This past weekend, by God's grace, I traveled 2 hours to see my grandparents. (If I travel more than 30 minutes I don't drive and usually lie down, recline or side sit to help avoid increased pain levels.) They hadn't seen my daughter for several months and their health is declining so I wanted to try to spend some time with them.

While driving there I saw a "Center for Spiritual Living". On it's billboard it advertised Zumba classes three times a week and a coffeehouse.  I think exercise is good and important as Christians are the temple of the Holy Spirit. And I like a good coffee every now and then and find coffeehouses relaxing places to visit. But what do these two things really have to do with "spiritual living"?

What is our spirit? If you look at Webster's you will get over 20 various definitions of the word spirit including a ghost, wind, animal excitment, the intellect, and the immortal soul of man.  People today use the word when talking about alcohol or pride for a school or sports team.  When searching the Bible I found 568 matches for the word spirit. Most were used in reference to the spirit of the LORD, spirit of God, or the Holy Spirit. But other's talked of man's spirit.
"A man's spirit will endure sickness, but a crushed spirit who can bear?" Proverbs 18:14
"A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." Proverbs 17:22
A man who's spirit is filled with the joy of the LORD will be able to withstand the infirmaties and trials of this life, but without the understanding of God's grace in salvation through Jesus and of God's sovereignty a man's spirit is crushed...he has no hope.

Will Zumba and coffee offer true hope and joy when trials strike? What happens when your physical body weakens and you can no longer exercise, or a health condition prohibits drinking coffee; how will your spirit be fed?

I can assure you when chronic illness hits, our dreams of serving overseas seem to be fading away, my husband seems to have no choice but to work a low paying job in a field he's not interested, we are living in a place we never wanted to live, and it is likely my daughter will be an only child, I want my spirit to be full of God, and joy in His promises. The things this world finds "spiritual" will only result in a broken spirit and dried up bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment