Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pudendal block results

Yesterday I had a bilateral pudendal nerve block only using anesthetic.  Good news is my pain went away for several hours. I was able to sit comfortably for most of the 3 hour trip home from the doctor. I was basically numb from the lower half of my butt to almost the back of my knees. Since I have responded badly to steroids in the past (we think) the doctor thought maybe just a block to numb the pudendal nerve area would be best.  That way we could see if that is what is causing my pain.  He actually said it may be possible to decrease the pain by doing a few anesthetic only blocks in order to "break the pain cycle". I feel like there is a better chance of relief with the steroids so I will probably ask for that next time. I don't like the idea of having more than 2-3 injections as this is a dangerous procedure. After a couple hours of sitting I started having a lot of sacral/coccyx area pain. I have this pain on/off anyways so I don't know if that pain isn't related to the pudendal nerve or what.

The doctor wants me to go ahead and have another injection in a week or two. I will be traveling to see the urogyno pelvic pain doctor's nurse practitioner and PT for pelvic floor trigger point injections once a week for the next four weeks so I guess we'll do another pudendal block too.

Bad news is I have  pudendal neuralgia.  It is estimated that 1 in 100,000 people get pudendal neuralgia....lucky me, huh? Whether the nerve is entrapped or just irritated we don't know. The only way to treat and even correctly diagnose a pudendal nerve entrapment is through surgery.  I am not surprised that the block was positive and I have pudendal neuralgia. I have suspected this diagnosis for several months now, but it doesn't make it any easier to accept.  This condition is extremely difficult to treat and becoming pain free again is not always possible.  But I am trying to hold firm to the fact that God is in control, He loves me, and is allowing this for my good and His glory.

Thank you for your prayers. I am not overly sore today and for that I am VERY grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment