Friday, November 26, 2010

Blessed

When I was at work the other day I got in the elevator and one of our patient service representatives was already in the elevator.  I asked him how he was doing and he said, "blessed". What a great way to respond when asked how we are doing!  What makes this situation even better is that this man was in a wheelchair. I don't know exactly what is wrong with him, but every time I've been around him he always seems cheerful. Surely he has endured many challenges in his life, yet he believes he has been blessed.  Very challenging to me. I want to try to respond in that way more often.

Over Thanksgiving I was thinking about how God  has so graciously blessed me.  Here are a few examples of God's providence in my life.

1.  After college, I served 2 years as a missionary in Eastern Africa.  He lead me to take a position in an area where there were no other young single teammates and I would have to live alone. I was fearful of being alone, but I took the position.  God brought my husband to join my team only a year later. That's God's providence.


2.  I thought I wanted to go to medical school when I went to college, but my dad encouraged me to think about nursing and maybe eventually becoming a nurse practitioner.  Had I become a doctor I wouldn't have gone overseas when I did and probably wouldn't even be finished with my training yet. It definitely wouldn't have been an easy profession to have with this pain. Nursing allows me to work very little which is a huge blessing right now.  That's God's providence.

3.  In November 2008, we moved to my hometown to be involved in ministry at the church where my dad pastors.  That same month is when my pain began and the next  month we found out I was pregnant.  Being near family is such a blessing as I am struggling with this pain.  That's God's providence.

 4.  I dated a guy very seriously in college and thought he was "the one".  After 2 1/2 years of dating he  ended things. I was crushed for a good year. Earlier this year I found out he had become abusive to his wife and they got divorced (they had also gotten pregnant out of wedlock).  What if I had to struggle with pelvic pain and had an abusive spouse?!  That's God's providence.

5.  Last year after my daughter was born a nursing position became available on the mother/baby unit at the hospital I work at. I have always wanted to do women's health and loved working in the nursery during nursing school. It seemed perfect.  I was going to have to work a little more often than we had planned and even some evenings/nights, but I thought it was worth it to do something I enjoyed.  I interviewed for the job and the manager made me believe I had the job, but could wait and start after my maternity leave was over.  However, when my leave was over the job was already gone. I was very upset and frustrated.  However, now I know that it was good I didn't leave my current position as my manager is very understanding of my condition and is allowing me to work what I can right now.  That's God's providence.

Well, I could keep going, but I'll stop for now.  Of course, I am most blessed because I have salvation through Jesus.  Hope you had a chance to think over God's blessings and providence in your life this Thanksgiving.


" Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus". - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment