Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Easy Fried Rice

When I saw this recipe I immediately added it to my list of recipes to try. It's ethnic food and it's easy - two of my favorite things. We liked it so much I've already made it twice in one week! :) I don't usually duplicate meals that frequently, but I needed a quick lunch for my husband after he had spent all morning mowing the yard (that was quickly becoming a jungle!) and was headed to work 2nd shift. My 3 year old wants to eat peanut butter and jelly every day (who can blame her?!), but thankfully she seems to liked this well enough to eat a decent size portion. She eats vegetables pretty well compared to most kids and she loves eggs!

I did make a couple of changes to the original recipe due to my taste preferences and available ingredients.



 Easy Fried Rice

  • About 1.5-2 cups cooked brown rice
  • 1 T of olive or coconut oil
  • 1/2 medium onion diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 16-20 oz frozen veggies (I just used a mixture of things I had on hand)
  • 2 eggs
  • black pepper to taste (you may need salt, but I find soy sauce to be salty enough for me)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce - Gluten Free, Organic, Reduced Sodium (I never knew there was gluten in soy sauce....that stuff is EVERYWHERE!)
* You may need more soy sauce, I'm not big on it so 1/4 cup is plenty for me.

  1. In a large pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
  2. Add the onion and cook while stirring for 1½ to 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for another 30 seconds.
  3. Pour the frozen veggies into the pan and cook while stirring for  around 5 minutes (depending on how crunchy you like your veggies).
  4. Using a spatula push the veggie mixture to one side of the wok. Drop in the 2 raw eggs on the other side and let them cook for 1 to 2 minutes before flipping and then stirring the entire mixture together.
  5. Once the eggs are fully cooked add the soy sauce, and rice to wok. Mix together thoroughly, serve warm.
A quick, healthy, and CHEAP meal! Just the way I like it.
 
What new recipe(s) are you trying this week?

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! This is one of our favorites too and pretty much exactly how I make ours. It's a great way to use leftover produce or whatever you have on hand.

    ReplyDelete