Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Guest Post: Finding Contentment


Discontentment has sadly been a struggle for as long as I can remember. In middle school I couldn’t wait to be 16. In high school I couldn’t wait to get out of the house and go to college. In college I couldn’t wait to be married. When I got out of college and went to Africa as I missionary I still really wanted to be married. When God finally brought my husband we had to wait over a year on separate continents before we married. After a few months of being married I couldn’t wait to have children, and then my pain began and contentment became an almost distant memory.


Some degree of discontentment is right for the Christian because we are only sojourners in this weary land (thankfully!). Romans 8:23 tells us that we groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for Christ’s return and the redemption of our bodies so we should not be totally content in this life.

 
But so often I am discontent not because I want to see the wrongs of this world made right in the fulfillment of God’s kingdom, but rather because I love this world and the things of this world. I want what I want when I want it how I want it, and I don’t really care that God knows what is best and is working all things together for my good (Romans 8:28). And this kind of discontentment is sin.

 
So how do we find contentment when life continues to be hard day after day –when the healing doesn’t come or prayers are not answered the way we want?

To read the rest of my post go to Finding Purpose in the Pain where I am posting today as a contributing writer.


No comments:

Post a Comment