Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hope in the Waiting

Over five weeks ago my husband interviewed for a job that would be in a bigger city with better access to pain management options for me and would provide much better for our family.  It’s in the town we lived in when we first were married (which we loved) and although it would require us to move away from my family, my brother and his wife live there and we still have a few friendships and connections through our old church. However, we know well that nothing comes without challenges.

Our heart’s desire was for this to work out, but after such a long wait and no word from the company, we were sure he did not get the job. On Monday, however, my husband received an email that a decision would soon be made concerning the position and we should hear something in a “few days”.  But we continue to wait.

It has been very difficult to be patient during this time of waiting. At first we were so hopeful – this finally seemed like our ticket out of our discouraging situation! But as time goes on we seem to waver between doubt – nothing good ever seems to happen to us so this won’t work out either – and fear – if this doesn’t work out, what are we going to do?  

I tried telling myself we should think positive (after all that’s so many doctors’ and concerned family and friends’ favorite prescription – just think positive!), but what does that even mean? Who’s definition of positive do I use? Romans 8:28 says “all things work together for the good of those that love God” so something I deem negative is often God’s working together for good.  I can think my definition of positive till I’m blue in the face, but what will it accomplish? NOTHING….because the reality is; I can’t accomplish anything. If we get the job it will only be because of God’s grace and mercy.  Apart from Christ, we deserve death (Romans 6:23) – no amount of positive thinking can change that fact.

Soon after the interview, we looked at a few places to live just in case the job worked out. We found a great place that would have been in our desired location and within our budget, but the landlord never got back to us so we figured it was taken. Then on the week we thought we were supposed to hear back about the job, the landlord called us back. It seemed perfect. But unfortunately the place was taken before we heard about the job. I’m so tired of getting my hopes up that I almost just wished we’d not received the email this week. I don’t want another disappointment.  But my husband reminded me, that no matter what happens, our hope can only be in God. We cannot hope in a better job, new surroundings, physical healing, or better days (on this Earth). Even if we are granted some of these things in our lifetime, we will eventually perish and they will not bring us lasting joy. But hope set on Jesus is lasting: 


“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith--more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire--may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” 1 Peter 1:3-7; 13)
 
 
We have been given a living hope through salvation in Jesus Christ. This is a hope that will not disappoint and will not perish. Though this life is so hard, we can rejoice and set our hope on eternity when we will be with our Savior forever! This is not a wishful hope, but a firm assurance guided by faith that is sustained by the power of God. Positive thinking cannot give us comfort when my husband gets the call that he did not get the job, but hope set on Christ brings peace when we get our heart’s desire or we do not because the hope is in the One who is unchanging and trustworthy not our circumstances. 

On our wedding day we sang with the congregation In Christ Alone, a hymn about the hope found in the good news of Jesus Christ. We had no idea at the time how important this truth would be to our young marriage, but we have found strength from these lryics time and time again. 

In Christ alone my hope is found;
He is my light, my strength, my song;
This cornerstone, this solid ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My comforter, my all in all—
Here in the love of Christ I stand.

That is our desire that Jesus would be our all in all and we would stand firmly in Him. We appreciate your prayers for God’s favor that we might get this job, but even more we need prayer that our cornerstone and hope would be in Christ alone. Where is your hope today? If it is anything or anyone other than Jesus you will be disappointed. And if we are going to "think positively" let's think positively on the things of God!

1 comment:

  1. I know how waiting can affect us. As my family had to wait to find out our location for my husband's training that we would be placed at for the next four years. I am also reminded of a song. ..

    We pray for blessings, we pray for peace.
    Comfort for family, protection while we sleep.
    We pray for healing, prosperity.
    We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering.

    All the while, You hear each spoken need.
    Your love is too way too much to give us lesser things.

    Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops?
    What if your healing comes through tears?
    What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near?

    What if trials of this night, are Your mercies in disguise?

    The song is titled , "Blessings" by Laura Story.

    I will pray for you to feel peace in this time of waiting. In my own situation what I wanted did not happen. But what we have received is 10x better than anything I could have imagined. I hope the same thing occurs for you as well, that whatever God gives is exactly what you need <3

    Shalasha
    A Loving Lasting Marriage

    ReplyDelete