Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Recipe 911: Mexican Style

I thought I'd try to post "emergency" recipes from time to time that are either good for freezing or quick and easy for those of who struggle with chronic illness (and those who do not). Who doesn't like good, easy meal ideas?! Today's involves my favorite method of cooking--the crock pot!

Slow cooker Salsa Chicken

1 lb thawed boneless chicken breast
1 cup salsa
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 package taco seasoning
1 cup sour cream

Put chicken, salsa, cream of chicken, and taco seasoning in slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Before serving stir in sour cream and cook until heated thoroughly. Serve over rice.
The original recipe can be found at  Chef Mommy (She has a great homemade taco seasoning recipe that I used as well). Apparently this is a common recipe with several variations found online, but I had never tried it before.

Best Black Beans

1 can black beans
1 small onion (i used about a forth of a larger onion)
1 clove garlic chopped
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste
1 tbsp fresh cilantro (didn't have but wish I did!)
(I also added in some cumin)

Stir-fry onion and garlic for a few minutes in saucepan. Add other ingredients (except cilantro), bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or so.

My two year old LOVES rice and beans and we love spice so these will be repeat recipes in our house.

What did you eat for supper tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment