Monday, September 5, 2011

Botox Update and New Job Beginning

It's been 2.5 weeks since my botox and sacrotuberous trigger point injections. I think I can say the flare is finally over, but I have had no effect in my overall pain. It took a good 2 weeks to really be able to function somewhat normally. I am still a little more tired than I was and my pain seems to spike easier than it did, but I am trying to do more "normal" activities. I went to Sunday School on Sunday for a little over an hour and managed to alternate sitting and standing every few minutes. We had my daughter's birthday party on Saturday, my father-in-law was here visiting for a night, and my grandmother was in the hospital with a kidney stone, so needless to say I pushed myself a little too much.  I am definitely feeling the effects this evening. But I wonder if part of my increase in all over body pain is due to the sudden cooler temperatures we've received. Fall has always been my favorite season, but now I seem to function better, have less burning in my feet, and generalized muscle aching from about April-August.

I am honestly not that surprised that the injections didn't help me. I guess it is still possible to see some slight benefit, but I am doubtful there will be much overall improvement after this point. I called the doctor's office on Thursday to give them an update, but never heard back as to what the plan is next. I have heard that they want to wait 4-6 weeks after Botox before scheduling a patient for decompression surgery. I would like to get on the waiting list for surgery (as it will probably be 6-12 months before they can work me into the schedule since my doctor only does one pudendal decompression surgery a week), but I would also like to explore a couple other options before I undergo this extremely invasive and difficult surgery. For now I will continue doing some physical therpy once a week and pray a lot about what God would have me do in the future.

I've thought a lot and prayed over the last week about whether to start my new job that begins tomorrow.  I do not know physically how I will work 8 hours a day twice a week, plus a 30 minute commute both ways. The sitting time alone is going to be extremely difficult, but I haven't felt the Lord telling me for sure not to try to work so I am going to give it a try.  I think after about 2-3 shifts I will be able to tell if I am going to be able to handle it.  In my heart I don't want to work. I would like to do some  writing, maybe try to get back into swimming (I used to be a competitive swimmer and swimming is supposed to be an ok activity for pudendal neuralgia), and work on starting a chronic illness ministry at my church. But are these my desires or God's desires? But I know that right now financially with all my medical bills I need to work a little. It's hard to discern God's will. I pray and often feel like I don't have an answer either way about a decision that must be made.

I was reading my Bible this morning and read this passage.


"My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heat to understanding; yes if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God." Proverbs 2:1-5
So  how can we get wisdom? According to this passage, by treasuring God's commandements (which are found in His word), having a heart that strives to understand, calling out for insight and help, and searching for wisdom as we would for hidden treasure.  Do, I seek wisdom this diligently?  No. I don't pray as much as I should or read God's word as much as I should. But I want to have a heart of wisdom. It's something I am still learning and I pray that God will give me a desire to seek Him like silver, or like I seek and research my pain.

Would appreciate your prayers tomorrow as I begin this job. Please pray that God will make it clear whether or not I am to continue working and if not that God would provide for our needs. Thanks as for reading and caring. Would love to hear your experiences with discerning God's will in difficult circumstances such as these.

3 comments:

  1. Hey friend, I enjoyed reading this post earlier last week. Hopefully something in there can help/encourage you. (let me know if you want my opinion on working or not;)) Love you and praying with you, sweet friend!

    http://www.truewoman.com/?id=1749

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new job. And don't give up if you noticed the effects of the procedure came short. Maybe after two or three weeks you may experience less pain from your pelvis. Continue encouraging people with similar conditions by keeping their faith alive. Everything will soon be in place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My doctor always told me that I should wait a few days for the full effect of botox and he is right, but 2.5 weeks is more than enough...so maybe you're one of the few patient who can't take advantage of a botox treatment.....I'm sure is the first you had so maybe it will have some light results.....

    Another reason for your problem can be the place where you had your treatment, because even if most people don't care about this, it's very important to have a qualified doctor performing your treatment.
    When I had my first botox Toronto treatment I chose the best clinic in town because I knew this will help...the full result of my treatment was visible after 6 days and I can say it was over my expectations....

    You shouldn't give up because like Katie said: the faith must always stay alive:)

    ReplyDelete