Sunday, March 13, 2011

Feeding Your Faith


"Faith feeds on the Word of God.  Without a steady diet it gets weaker and weaker.  If you are dissatisfied with your Christian courage and joy and purity of heart, check the way you are feeding your faith.  Compare the way you eat. Suppose that you start the day with a glass of orange juice.  It's good, and good for you.  It takes you maybe five minutes to drink it if you read the newspaper at the same time.   Then you go off to work or school.  You don't eat anything else until the next morning.  And you have another glass of juice.  And so you go on drinking one glass of juice a day until you drop.  That's the way a lot of Christians try to survive as believers.  They feed their faith with five minutes of food in the morning, or evening, and then don't eat again until twenty-four hours later.  Some even skip one or two mornings and don't give their faith anything to eat for days." -John Piper, Taste and See
When we starve our faith it gets weaker and it has a hard time trusting God. I see this in my life when I have "bad days". Sometimes during those days that the pain is so bad I don't read my Bible like I should because my head hurts too much. But I could still listen to a sermon or have my husband read the Bible to me, or I am sure there are probably audio Bibles you can listen to online.  Or we all have to go to the bathroom ( I have found the toilet seat to be the most comfortable seat in the house during my struggle with pudendal neuralgia), so take a couple minutes to read some scripture or a devotional book while going to the bathroom. It may be just a phrase like "Trust in the Lord with all your heart" (Proverbs 3:5).  Then when you are going through your day as painful or as bad as it may be and Satan tempts you to despair, you will be reminded of the verse you mediated on earlier to trust in the Lord no matter what.  Some people follow the "No Bible, No Breakfast" rule emphasizing that reading the word of God is more important than eating. Wow! That's challenging. But think of how much stronger our faith would be in the battles of everyday life if our soul was fed as much or even more than we feed our body!

"Faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ." Romans 10:17

"His delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night.  He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season." Psalm 1:2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment