Wednesday, December 8, 2010

3 years ago today...

I married the man of my dreams.  We met serving as missionaries in Africa and spent most of our courtship long distance so we talked/emailed a lot. We talked about our dreams of having a big family and serving overseas again. We KNEW that was God's plan for us. We couldn't wait to get back to the mission field ASAP!  But obviously that isn't God's plan for us (at least not right now).  I remember when we were writing our wedding vows I really wanted to include "in sickness and in health". Being a nurse I have watched many old men men and women care for their spouse in times of suffering.  I thought when we are old like that, I want to remember our vows and care for each other even  in sickness.  Little did I know that only 11 months into our marriage I would begin to experience pain.  In our short marriage we have had some hard times, but not as hard as others that's for sure.  I am so blessed to have an amazing, caring, and thoughtful husband. He does so much to help take care of me and our daughter.  And he never complains or makes me feel bad.  And the thing is, he is suffering too.  Not physically, but he is suffering the loss of hopes and dreams. Yet he holds fast to the Lord and brings me back to Him when I am weary.

Isn't that what marriage is all about....being a living example of Christ and His Church?  Not romance and ease and happy feelings, but loving each other no matter what happens in this life.  And as the bride it is my job to serve and follow my husband wherever he leads.  We long to serve God in full time Christian ministry and I often feel like my physical condition prohibits me from serving God. But I am reminded today that I have a ministry, even in my marriage, to live out to the world (or maybe just the check out lady at Walmart) the example of Christ and His bride.  I used to worry about who I would marry and if I would marry. But God provided a wonderful husband for me .  Now I worry about future a lot....what will we do for ministry, where will we live, will I suffer like this forever, how will I take care of my daughter. But God will provide in these areas, just as He provided my husband.  We thought we had big plans when we got married, but God's ways are much better and they never disappoint.

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand."  Proverbs 19:21

No comments:

Post a Comment